Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
$20,774 – $27,004 (Hiring Range)
May 28, 2019
Rutherford County Health Department (Spindale, NC)
Description of Work:
• BFPC serves as a role model and support person for pregnant women and new mothers of Rutherford and McDowell Counties WIC program. The counselor provides education and support to women who plan to breastfeed or are currently breastfeeding. Issue breastfeeding supplies to WIC participant’s that qualify for supply.
• Assists women and babies in learning techniques of breastfeeding, including positioning and anticipatory guidance to reduce the occurrence of problems. Need to be enthusiastic about breastfeeding and help Mothers enjoy a positive experience.
• Provides consultation, clinical and emotional support to a caseload of prenatal and breastfeeding women and their families.
• Discusses appropriateness of using and assists women in obtaining breastfeeding aids if within their scope of care (breast pads, breast shells, electric and manual breast pumps, breast shields, or supplemental nutrition systems). Cleaning and sanitizes multi-user pumps.
• Assesses mother’s concerns/problems and is trained to know when referrals are appropriate following protocols targeted for the different states of breastfeeding and high-risk breastfeeding cases.
• Participates in breastfeeding continuing education training to remain current on breastfeeding information and attends staff meetings.
• Being fluent in Spanish is preferred
• Hours can be 30 or 40 hours per week
Minimum Education And Experience:
High School graduate and prior experience in a job that deals with the general public. BFPC program requires that you have breastfeed at least one baby.
Valid NC driver’s license. Must successfully complete a North Carolina Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Training program. NC Breastfeeding Competency Training Program to issue specific breastfeeding supplies.
Some knowledge of common health and safety precautions of working in local health departments. Ability to work with staff and patients, under supervision, as set up by departmental policies.
To apply for this position, submit the required NC state application (PD-107) to: Rutherford-Polk-McDowell District Health Department ATTN: Cindy Snyder (firstname.lastname@example.org) 221 Callahan-Koon Road Spindale, NC 28160.