- Category: Hot Topics
- Created on Monday, 22 April 2013 14:35
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
- Published on Wednesday, 01 May 2013 01:01
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 3388
The Rutherford Polk McDowell District Health Department is teaming up with the President's Council on Fitness, Sports, & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the month of May, we challenge you to include 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. Yet in our area a large number of individuals don't get enough physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that people:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
- Do muscle-strengthening activities like lifting weights and using exercises bands at least 2 days a week.