- Category: Hot Topics
- Created on Friday, 02 May 2014 15:02
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 30 November -0001 00:00
- Published on Friday, 02 May 2014 15:02
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 3238
The Rutherford Polk McDowell District Health Department is supporting the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and sports Month. During the month of May, we challenge all adults to get 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. Yet in our area most individuals don't get the recommended amount of physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
- Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights and using exercises bands – at least 2 days a week.