Environmental Health Specialist
Environmental Health Division
ON-SITE WATER PROTECTION PROGRAM
$2500 One-time SIGN ON BONUS (authorized applicants)
$46,000 – $53,000 for authorized applicants, dependent on authorizations and experience (less for applicants without authorizations)
Open until filled
Polk County, NC (occasional work in Rutherford and McDowell Counties)
Description of Work:
• Perform new site evaluations for both septic systems and private drinking water wells.
• Issue or deny permits based on compliance with N.C. Rules and Regulations.
• Perform final inspections of permitted systems during and after the construction process.
• Perform well grout inspections and final well head evaluations to determine compliance with N.C. Rules and Regulations.
• Collect private drinking water well samples.
• Provide consultation as needed to contractors and property owners for problems encountered during septic and well installation.
• Issue Operation Permits for septic systems and wells upon verification of all installation requirements.
• Inspect existing systems for additions/expansions and re-connections.
• Investigate complaints concerning septic systems and private water supplies and other public health related matters.
• Other duties as assigned by Environmental Health Director.
Minimum Education And Experience:
Graduation from a four-year college or university with 30 semester hours of course work in the physical or biological sciences and two years of experience in environmental health; or a four-year or Masters degree in environmental health from a program which is accredited by the National Accreditation Council for Environmental Health Curricula of the National Environmental Health Association and one year of experience in environmental health.
Necessary Special Qualifications:
Registration as an environmental health specialist; or eligibility for registration as an environmental health specialist by the NC State Board of Environmental Health Specialist Examiners.
To apply for this position, submit the required NC state application (PD-107) to:
Rutherford-Polk-McDowell District Health Department
ATTN: Personnel Department
221 Callahan-Koon Road
Spindale, NC 28160
Applications can be obtained from the Personnel Office or downloaded at www.rpmhd.org/hr/employment. Resumes without an accompanying PD-107 will not be considered. This position will remain open until filled. Completed applications and resumes can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org